Sunday, October 05, 2008

What keeps you up until 2 am?

Last night was our quarterly "family game night." We started this tradition after realizing we had way too many birthdays to do each of them justice. So now, each season we all get together for a night of food, fun, and games.

It was a small group last night so we decided to play one of my family's favorites - Krazy Bee Rummy. It's kind of like Phase 10, only it has 14 steps, and it takes FOREVER to play. I'm not sure why we love it so much, but we do. And, I'm also not sure why we decided to start a game so late in the evening, but we did. As a a result, we didn't make it home until 2:00!

It was a good time though. We rotated iPods, had "fried ice cream" ice cream (which is scrumptulescent by the way,) and reminded ourselves several times that it's "just a game."

Once upon a time, I was all about staying up late, but then real life responsibilities like jobs and children came along. These days I'm pushing it if I stay up past 11:00! There are still times, though, like last night when I get drunk with power and say, "surely I won't be that tired tomorrow, what's one more game?" I can answer that question. "One more game" is the difference between being able to get up when Evan asks me to help him dig for bugs (for some reason, I always have to dig too, unfortunately,) and being too tired to "run, mama" after a ball that my son has already thrown twenty times. Just wait until he plays his first game of Krazy Bee, then he'll understand!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I love (and miss) those fun game nights! What a great idea for celebrating birthdays together. The last time I stayed up past midnight, I was talking politics with my mom. Probably not the best idea...:-) Which reminds, me, I should probably get to bed! Reading blogs keeps me up way past bedtime, too, but when else do you do it?? I love the wonderful world of blogging!

morgan said...

it was fun. we didn't make it home till about 3! and then i skipped church...

Nikki Goedeker said...

Thanks for the comment. It's okay that you didn't make it, you guys have had enough to worry about with Evan and everything! I hope he is doing better and you guys are caught up on your sleep (ha! right?!).

Thanks so much for the gift card! I think we are going to use it to purchase our baby monitors. We didn't get the monitors and I think that is something that I would like to have. I have less than 4 weeks now!