Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Christmas is coming

Jeff and I don't spend a lot of money on each other throughout the year (per se,) but we've always splurged on our Christmas gifts. Last year we came to the realization that our yearly binge probably wouldn't continue much longer now that we're parents. We're trying to hold on one more year, but this Christmas we plan to be a little more practical. We're combining our efforts to get a new mattress set. We complain about our mattress all the time. It's old and cheap and has a broken spring. Most of you who know me, know that I love sleep, so you can imagine my excitement over this gift. If I already sleep this well on our brokedown mattress, I can only imagine what my sleep will be like on the new one.

There's also been talk of a less practical gift exchange...FYI, if you take your old Ipod to the Apple store you'll get 10% off a new one...

In light of all this "spendery" (yes, I make up words,) we're also considering how to set the best example for Evan this Christmas season. We both feel very strongly about not promoting materialism. In the future, when he can understand, we plan on having him give toys away as part of our Christmas tradition. Overall, though, we don't want to start the habit of buying him a bunch of stuff. The lady who leads the Moms' group I attend, said that the best way to teach your child to be grateful is to give him less.

We've already bought his Christmas gift, it's a small toy that he'll hopefully enjoy, and of course there will be stocking stuffers. We hope more than those things, though, that he'll begin to understand what Christmas really means to his Mommy and Daddy.

4 comments:

Lauren Stahl said...

I love the idea of giving away a toy or more at Christmas, we may have to do that as well! We also are trying to have the girls get educational toys and to share items instead of getting two of everything. I hope you enjoy your new mattress!

Kelly said...

Our boys are giving away toys too. It's really fun when they are old enough to help pick them out. I think it's a great tradition! Enjoy your new mattress! I LOVE our new one!

Maya said...

Oh how much you'll love the mattress I'm sure!!!

We're trying to do the same thing with Zane. Less is more...except when it comes to giving to those who are needy.

morgan said...

i agree!