Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Friends

Our friends Jan, Nathan, and baby Eva are leaving town soon for the second leg of their journey back to Laos. We were able to spend a great evening of food, talking, and games last night, and it reminded us how much we'll miss them.

It also reminded me that we need more friends with children. Sometimes our neighbors have friends over and all the kids are out in the yard playing - that's how I'd like it to be for us one day. I remember cookouts and game nights with my parents' friends and their kids and those were some of the best times.

There are just some things about our life that are more easily understood and accommodated for by friends with kids. For a long time we were the only married couple in our group of friends, and then we became the only couple with children. But, it's nice sometimes to have comrades - friends that understand nap times, and routines, and never having the ability to sleep in.

I think there were times that I felt bad or guilty for changing my "life stage." As if I wasn't fun anymore because of my new responsibilities as a parent. Well, I love this stage of my life. I've had to grow up a lot and that's not always easy, but I've realized that life isn't just about me anymore. I don't and can't make decisions based solely on what I want to do or what is most fun for me at the time. Sometimes that's a hard realization, but that's me being a good mom, and there's no one I'd rather be.

Nathan and Jan, safe travels and God speed...we'll see you soon and always be praying for you and yours!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I am proud of you!

Unknown said...

I hear you on friends with kids...by the way you guys are still invited over to grill out!Just let us know when.

The Colesome Three said...

It was great fun. Lets do it again in December!

Burgh Baby said...

None of my husband's friends have kids, and it always makes get-togethers a little awkward. Until you have a little monster, I don't think you fully understand little things like how important bedtime is or how swearing in front of them really can lead to hours of trouble.

wendy said...

In one group of friends, we're the last to have kids; in another, we're right along side our friends. It is very different to be with each group. It IS easier when you have friends with kids your kids' ages.

Leanne said...

We started to move away from our friends with no kids, it was just way too hard for them to understand our life. Now that the kids are older though, we seem to be including couples with out the urchins back in the get togethers again....