Monday, July 21, 2008

The end of an era

Last week (yeah, I know I'm still behind,) Evan did something that signaled we were in trouble. Big trouble.

You know how most battery operated and annoyingly loud toys have two on/off switches? The first, the decoy, is visible and easily operated by toddler hands. The second one is usually somewhat hidden and requires a little more finesse.

See, they create these two switches to offer parents a refuge from the never-ending lights and sounds of toddler toys. This refuge lasts only as long as it takes for the toddler to figure out the mystery of the second on/off switch. I believe the mystery is over in our house.

Evan has this Bob the Builder tractor that he loves. He loves to let it run for minutes on end, sometimes carrying it all over the house that way. After so long, I would secretly turn off the "parent switch" to give myself and the toy's batteries a break.

Well, last week after doing that, Evan gave the tractor a puzzled look, turned it over, studied that little black switch, and flipped it back on. He then looked at me and said, "ah ha!"

6 comments:

wendy said...

Oh no! I always loved V-Tech because they had multiple volumes and I would keep all toys at LOW. ;)

Lauren Stahl said...

I feel you on this one. The girls have a flower that plays "you are my sunshine" at a revolting level. Sometimes we turn it off and say it is taking a nap and then hide it when they aren't paying attention to it!

Burgh Baby said...

Time to cut the wires. That is the only thing you can do at the point!

Anonymous said...

That's my boy!!! No just kidding I remember back in the old days there really wasn't a switch and they were on all the time, ha! He is smart!!!

morgan said...

he's a smart boy!

Anonymous said...

Good Job Evan- Way to figure out how to get past a problem on your own!!!

The next step- Remove the batteries! It will be a few years before he figures out how to put them back in.
-Kel