Saturday, January 03, 2009

Shhh...he's sleeping!

Alternate title - Nap Watch: 2009

Yesterday was day three of Evan not taking a nap. Each of those days he laid in his bed for two hours and didn't sleep a wink. There are a few possible reasons for this. 1 - We're potty training, so attempting to reach this developmental milestone might be throwing him off. 2 - He's been sleeping in until 8:00 or 8:30 every morning this week, so he's getting thirteen hours of sleep each night. 3 - Jeff has been home all week, or 4 - using jelly beans and M&M's to elicit peeing has him hopped up on sugar!

Whatever the reason, I've been really frustrated by the situation. I'm not even sure why, since he's still been in his room for the two hours he would have been napping. I think it's a programmed response. On my days off, that nap time is very important to me. I usually use that time to exercise. But if he isn't asleep, I don't feel comfortable blaring my earphones and not being able to hear him. And of course, everyone knows you can't exercise without music! So most afternoons, I sit there waiting to hear that blessed silence.

Today he's finally napping and even though it doesn't really change how I'll spend that time, it's really nice to hear the silent hum on the monitor.

On an even more positive note, potty training has taken a slightly more successful turn. We're ever perfecting the routine and I think we've found one that works. On a couple of occasions, he's even told us that he had to pee, so we got to the potty in time! He was dry all morning, and although, I still hate potty training, the small successes are making it more tolerable.

1 comment:

Alison said...

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to potty training again! I hear ya on the nap thing, too. My girls still take naps from time to time. I think I've gotten to the point, though, where I wish we didn't have to be home for Barrett's nap. It's nice to have all day to work with. Although, I do really, really like when nap time works out for the whole house!