Sunday, October 24, 2010

Vacation!

We took a mini vacation this week, a first for this new family of four! Since we also needed to visit Jeff's family in Evansville, most of which hadn't met Aida yet, we went to New Harmony. It's a cute, peaceful, historic town only 20 minutes from Evansville and is perfect for weekend getaways. My family went there a lot when I was a kid, so it's also nostalgic. We opted out of the "historic tours" this time, but Evan had a blast in the labyrinth and enjoyed walking around the town. New Harmony also has an amazing playground - it's huge. We could have stayed there all day. But we couldn't because the afternoon was reserved for the pool. The inn has a fabulous pool, and new since I've been there, a hot tub. We enjoyed both immensely. And the best part about it being so close to Evansville was that Uncle Dave got to spend the whole day with us, which made Evan very happy.


Staying in a hotel room with both kids was a little challenging. Aida is a light sleeper, and still isn't sleeping through the night, and Evan doesn't "do" quiet, but we made it work. We cuddled up with Evan to watch a movie and even let him jump on the bed.

We got to spend time with Jeff's family and everyone finally got to meet Aida. We even went to Evansville's Boo at the Zoo with his cousin's Zane and Isaac. And anything done with them is instant fun!

The only downside to the trip was that I forgot my camera. I think we packed up our whole house, but somehow overlooked that. I was devastated when I realized I'd left it, but it was too late to turn around. We borrowed Uncle Dave's point and shoot, which saved the day. But I was missing my DSLR the entire time! I saw photo opportunities everywhere I looked, but I'm sure we'll be going back next year and I'll make up for it then!


No comments: