Thursday, January 26, 2012

Meaningful Art in Every Room of the House

We love having things on our walls, but we're very selective about what we display, because we want those things to have purpose. It's important to us that the things you see in our home reflect who we are and we choose them carefully. Of course, having a designer as a husband certainly helps with this!

We added a cool feature to our kitchen the other day, and then I started thinking about the other rooms in our house. I realized that we have at least one meaningful piece of "art" in every room, so I decided to take some pictures and share them with all of you.

We went to San Francisco on our honeymoon almost 8 years ago, and we found this gorgeous silk table runner in Chinatown. Unfortunately, over the years it's gotten stained, but I couldn't bear to throw it away. We had these frames sitting around (from one of our many IKEA trips,) so I decided to cut out the prettiest parts, frame them, and hang them. These are in the den and are actually the only things on any of the walls in that room. Our den is still a work in progress, because we haven't quite determined its personality yet.


And while we're on the subject of San Francisco, I love that we got these pictures framed. They're photographs I took on our honeymoon and now they hang in our bedroom.



Jeff called dibs on our 4th bedroom to use as his office, and of course he has a ton of cool stuff in there, but I'm highlighting his movie poster. He loved its design, but it was just sitting in his closet. So, one year for his birthday, I surprised him and had it framed. Also in this picture are two Bob Dylan vinyls that I gave him for our first Valentine's Day. He displays them proudly :-)


And then there are the kids' rooms. You've seen pictures of Aida's nursery, but this barrette holder is a newer addition. I don't think I've done a post about this, but one of my hobbies is making cute hair clips for Aida. I was buying so many on Etsy that I decided to try my hand at making them. It's a lot of fun, but I was running out of places to put them. So, once again I turned to Etsy and found this store. I absolutely love her style and she does custom orders. I sent her pictures of Aida's nursery and she created something entirely unique for me.



I'm not sure if you remember this post, but we were so impressed by Evan's ingenuity, that Jeff compiled his photographic creations and we hung them up in his room. The day will probably come when he doesn't find this cool and he insists we find it a new home, but until then he's pretty proud of it too.



This is our dining room. We augmented the original design by cutting each sheet into separate branches so that we could create something new. These wall graphics are one of the first things we ever put on our walls and I still get excited every time I walk in to this room.


We have this rotating display in our living room. Jeff creates these really cool graphic collages, and I love them all so much that I can't pick favorites. So every few months we rotate 2 new ones in. And I get to show off my husband's talent, so that's fun!



Last but not least is the kitchen feature that prompted this post. Jeff went to art school with someone that started their own business creating these table decals. She has a ton of amazing designs, and our table was in desperate need of a face lift so we were really excited by the concept. I think she'll do custom designs, but I fell in love with this one. It's only been a few days, but so far we would definitely recommend her product. It seems durable, it has a matte finish that cleans really well, and it looks great. We love it!



So there you have it, meaningful art in every room of our house: Den, Bedroom, Office, Aida's room, Evan's room, Dining room, Living room, and Kitchen. And the best part is that all but one are completely one-of-a-kinds. It's been a slow process, and there's still a lot more wall space to cover, but it's a process we enjoy!











No comments: