Monday, June 18, 2007

First Father's Day

Yesterday was my first taste of what the ambiguous holiday of Father's Day was all about. Up until this past November, Father's Day had no meaning to me whatsoever; just another way for golf stores and car washes to make extra money. This time things were different. I received breakfast in bed after sleeping in to a hearty 7:45 in the AM. From there, church, and then a cookout where I was the grill chef. Later, a little trip to Best Buy to discover the wonders of HD flat panel television monitors and Blu-Ray disc technology (believe the hype--they're incredible looking.)

The day was capped off watching some bonus DVD material I never get to see now in the days of Netflix one-and-done viewing.

But the most important thing about yesterday was being with my wife and especially my son, whose whole existence affords me a day of special rest, but more importantly, joy in all that he is and who he is becoming. I can't imagine life without him.

Thank you Jeanelle. You too Big Time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we could make the day special for you!! You really are a great father and of course, a great husband...maybe there should be a "husband's day" :-)

Lauren Stahl said...

I thought it was the cutest thing when one time we were at the store looking for Mother's day gifts and a little girl was asking her dad if there was a "kids day" I just started laughing because everyday is kids day. But I am glad you guys had a good father's day...it is important!