Friday, September 07, 2007

Follow-up

Thank you for all the encouraging comments on our plans to go to Italy! Anytime someone asks me what my dream vacation is, I always say, "to eat my way through Italy." We were talking the other night about what we want out of this trip. I asked Jeff if he wanted to sightsee or experience Italy. I think it's hard to accomplish both in one trip. I wish we knew we were going back soon.

There are so many things that you "have to see," but I don't want to spend the entire time running from monument to monument. Honestly, I'd be content staying in a Tuscan villa cooking and eating with the chef all week, but what if we never go back and we missed out on the Leaning Tower of Pisa or the Sistine Chapel. I guess this is why people usually go for 2+ weeks, but we don't have the money for that or the desire to be away from Evan that long.

We're supposed to both be making a list of priorities and must sees and we'll start planning and compromising from there. It's a little overwhelming to plan your own trip to a foreign country, but I don't think we'll be able to find a tour to meet our needs. I think my top priorities are Tuscany, the Amalfi Coast, lots of eating, and then some sightseeing in Florence and Rome, but we'll see...

I agree with all of you, we really need to grab this opportunity while we have it. I'm not even sure how this decision came about. We were just talking about money and family planning and suddenly realized that this was the perfect time to go and if we didn't do it now it would probably be a long way off for us. There will probably be many more Italy related posts as we start planning, but I promise the next post will be about Evan and will have pics - hopefully I'll get that out today!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I hope you can find a good balance for your trip. There are definitely some must see sights in Rome and Florence! Have fun planning!!

Maya said...

We did the list too...that helped so much in planning! We are so excited for you guys!