Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Keeping Perspective

We found out this week that the son of Evan's childcare provider has leukemia. Jeff is good friends with her husband so our hearts and prayers have definitely been with them. Fortunately, the doctors have said his type of leukemia is treatable so we'll be praying for a quick recovery. However, he will be vulnerable to germs for a very long time and this means we need to find someone new to watch Evan.

I'm sad because Evan really liked going to her house and I was very happy with our situation. She does a great job and I could tell she really cared about him. I know that he will miss her and the other children there.

I have also now officially run out of people that I personally know who provide childcare and I'm really stressed out by the idea of leaving him with someone I don't know. I've been calling places all day, most of which have been referrals from people I work with and churches. The problem is that a lot of places don't accept part-time children or if they do, they still charge you their full-time rate.

I finally decided to browse Craigslist, even though I was pretty sure I wouldn't call anyone I found in a classified ad. But I did, and the reason why - she has a blog. It's a pretty cute idea actually, she puts posts up at the end of the day for the parents so they can see pictures and read about little things, like what they had for lunch. Anyway, I might go over there on Friday and check it out.

Today was one of those days that I thought about quitting my job and staying home with Evan!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's very sad. i will be praying for you guys & for that family. if they need someone to talk to who has gone through this, they can call my friend cara & her husband who has leukemia. they also know a little boy who has leukemia.

Lauren Stahl said...

This is seriously the saddest thing I have heard in a long time, they will be in my thoughts, as well as you guys!

Maya said...

That certainly will put things in perspective. Wow.

We'll be praying for them as well as for you guys finding good childcare.

Kelly said...

That is so sad :( Definitely puts things in perspective. I hope you can find someone great to watch Evan soon!

Nikki said...

Hey, about your comment you left: I didn't know you could freeze vegetables like that. But I guess I have had some of those frozen stir fry meals that have individually frozen vegetables in them, and they taste great! I will have to try it, thanks!