Friday, December 14, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

After getting us both ready for an eventful day of shopping, Evan and I left the apartment this morning only to make it about a block before my tire went flat. I thought something felt weird when I braked for the light, but as I was pulling away it sounded like metal on pavement - because it was! I turned very slowly at the first street, but noticed there was a car following super close behind me. At first I was mad, because it was obvious I was having car trouble and it seemed that they wanted me to go faster. She pulled up next to me, though, and said she wanted to make sure I got turned safely and asked if there was someone I could call. I was very thankful, but by then I was already on the phone to Jeff.

I called AAA and Jeff came too, but before AAA arrived, Jeff started changing the tire himself. A man pulled up next to the car and without even asking, got out his professional jack and came over to help. They wrestled with my tire for a good half hour before giving up. Apparently if you don't get your tires rotated regularly, they can mold to the rim making them very difficult to remove. AAA couldn't get it either, so later this afternoon my car will have to be towed to a tire shop.

It goes without saying that I won't be going shopping today. It's probably for the best. Even though I had wanted to get some Christmas shopping done, most likely I would have spent too much money on myself in the process. I am bummed though, because now we're stuck at home all day! On the other hand, we were really lucky: no one was hurt, we were close to home, and God sent people to help!

4 comments:

Lauren Stahl said...

Yikes, I am glad you guys were okay. The girls and I went to Keystone and I was wishing we had stayed home...maybe this was for the best :-)

Kelly said...

I'm glad you are ok! That reminds me we need to have our tires rotated. That's one of those things we don't keep up on well.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have AAA and Jeff! We all have AAA and it is the best thing ever! Glad you and Evan are safe.

morgan said...

i love seeing strangers act this kindly, it reminds me that i need to be the same way when i see others in need rather than driving or walking right past!