I turn Thirty next month. I'm not depressed by it or anything, but sometimes I do feel a little old. Aren't they saying these days that thirty is the new twenty? Well, my life wasn't that exciting when I was twenty either, but these days my social life consists of play dates and trips to Target. I don't think my thirties will be anything like my twenties!
I can't say that I'm looking forward to getting old...the graying hair and falling metabolism have already shown me that life on the other side of twenty isn't all it's cracked up to be. But, when I step back and get perspective, there are a lot of things I'm looking forward to in my thirties: having another child, watching our children grow up, celebrating our 10 year anniversary, traveling, and becoming involved in our community, among others.
With my birthday fast approaching, I decided to make a list of all the things I accomplished before turning thirty. I'm not saying I actually set out to accomplish any of these things, because even though I'm a fierce planner, I'm not much for resolutions and goals. But every now and then it's nice to take stock of your life and "count your blessings."
1) Married my husband and became a very lucky woman!
2) Gave birth to our first child and became an even luckier woman!
3) Got my Masters Degree and LCSW
4) Bought my first home
5) Bought our first home together
6) Made some great friends
7) Traveled to the following: China, Cuba, Honduras, Costa Rica, Mexico
8) Got debt free (well, besides the big stuff)
9) Made peace in my life where peace needed to be made