Thursday, September 04, 2008

Chatting

Besides the unlimited amount of quality time with my two year old, one of the things I miss the most when I'm at work is the ability to pester my husband on iChat.

Don't get me wrong, I still bother him plenty, but now I have to use the phone to do it. I've always had a bad habit of calling him at work more than I should, but I get bored sometimes, or I find useless tidbits of information that I just have to share with him.

I don't work in the world of cubicles and water coolers. I have my own office, and when people come to see me, it's either a client or someone wanting to talk about a client. Similarly, when I walk around the building and talk to teachers, it's usually to gather information about clients, so I don't get a lot of social interaction at work. It's not that I don't want to be social, but there's just not a lot of time in the teachers' days for idle chatter.

So, in my down time between clients, when I'm not checking emails or doing paperwork (or in today's instance - blogging,) I like to call Jeff. But, you can imagine that getting three or four phone calls per day can get a little annoying if you're trying to get work done. He usually humors me, but I know he also prefers the days when I'm home and we can use ichat to communicate.

I absolutely love being able to chat with him, and it significantly cuts down on the pointless phone calls. Since our laptop is wireless, I always have it nearby. If Evan does or says something especially cool, I'll chat him about it, or send him a webcam shot. When I need to ask him a question, it's much easier than calling. Sometimes, we have long conversations over iChat, but usually they're just quick check ins.

My days at home can get long, especially on a day that's void of adult interaction, and iChat fills that void. I would have carried on the tradition at work, but the filter won't allow it. So, I resort to calling him. For instance, any time I publish a post from home, I chat him to let him know. But, since I'm at work, I guess I'll have to call him with that pressing update!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I love hearing from my lovely wife...but Work Jeff and Husband Jeff don't share time very well.

Worlds are colliding Jerry!

luv u,
me.

morgan said...

travis sometimes gets annoyed when i call him too much...like he's really that busy! :P we usually resort to texting...since i can't carry on conversations much at work

Lauren Stahl said...

I need your ichat name then we can waste some time together sometimes!

Burgh Baby said...

I have the opposite problem. My husband, who is also at work, has a habit of calling me every ten minutes at work. Thank heavens for caller ID. ;-)