Monday, October 27, 2008

Big Boy


Last night was Evan's first night in his "big boy" bed, and it went surprisingly well. I don't think he got out of his bed once, and he slept in until 8:30 this morning. Of course, nap time didn't go so smoothly. He didn't get out of his bed, but it took him over an hour to fall asleep this afternoon. The sleeping in was probably more to blame for that than the bed, though.

Just like always, the transition was way easier than I thought it would be. But, there were a few sad moments. Since we were converting his bed, we decided to convert his room as well, so we took out all things baby. The last thing to go was his changing pad, and as I carried it to the "nursery," it hit me just how much "my baby" has grown up.

Then Evan poured salt on the wound at bedtime. For a long time now, during the part of our routine when we say our prayers, Evan absolutely has to be on my lap and held tight. Last night, the routine was mostly the same but the location shifted and when it was time to say his prayer he didn't reach out for me like he always does. I've been complaining for months about being the one that had to carry his heavy self over to the crib and hold him while we say our goodnights, but really, I loved every moment of it.

He's growing up, and there's a lot about that realization that makes me sad, but I also know that with each stage he enters, I find something completely new to love about him. Luckily he still loves to cuddle, because that one is NOT going to be easy to give up!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I'm glad it went well! What a big boy!