Wednesday, May 19, 2010

38 Weeks and counting...

I only have 3 days of work left! Our maternity leave budget forgot to include those days because I'll get paid for them in June, so I don't technically need to work next week, but I can't in good conscience forfeit the extra money. Of course, if Aida decides to come a little early, I won't mind!

We've installed her car seat, put the bassinet together, and mostly packed Evan's bag, but we still need to pack ours. My doctor's appointments have been fairly non-monumental. I'm only dilated 2 centimeters. She's offered to induce me next week, but I'm going to hold out. If I haven't gone into labor by my due date, I'm pretty sure I'll end up being induced on 6/2. She won't let me go past 41 weeks and that's her on-call day, so that's our deadline.

I've been thinking a lot about my "birth plan." It's not something I intend to write down because I want to maintain a little flexibility, but there are definitely some things that I hope to do differently this time around. For starters, unless we're induced, I'm going to labor longer at home. Not too long, of course, Clarian North is quite a drive and I have no intention of having this baby in the car. But the first time around I was at the hospital way longer than I needed to be and I don't want that to happen again. Also, I've asked my sister, Morgan, to Doula. I'm very task-focused and get easily frustrated by lack of progress, so I'm hoping that if she can keep me busy trying new things, maybe I can outlast the pain. My only concern is that I might smack her. I wouldn't smack a stranger, but a sister...

The nursery is ready for it's "photo-shoot" and has been since the weekend, but I've been waiting on a sunny day so I could make the most of the natural light. Hopefully, I'll take those pictures this afternoon and post tomorrow. Meanwhile, here's one of Evan creating his own art for Aida...

No comments: