Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Love & Happiness


Because of the advertisements you see in the left column of my blog, I sometimes get offers to participate in ad campaigns. I almost never accept, because frankly it's extra work and I have a hard enough time writing regular blog posts, let alone sponsored ones. But I thought this one was interesting, so I decided to give it a shot. I'll be honest, I've done little to no research on the actual campaign, so I can't say I'm endorsing it, but I like this week's question and wanted to answer it...

How do you practice self-acceptance and find unconditional love for yourself? How does practicing love first help you attract more love and happiness in your life?

There was a time in my life that I really had no idea who I was and I certainly wasn't prepared to love whoever that turned out to be. I had to gain some independence. From my parents, from boys, and from my own hang ups. But, I also had to gain some dependence on God. I was in flux for a few years, but something that was never in flux was my faith. God loves me beyond measure even when I make mistakes, and because of that I'm able to love myself (usually) and I'm able to try my hardest every day to show what's probably only a fraction of His love to the people in my life.

That's my official answer, but of course there are a few less grand answers to that question as well.

1) I married well, which I have God to thank for. My husband and I are best friends. We compliment each other. My strengths are his weaknesses and his strengths are my weaknesses. We have fun together, and we're a team in everything we do. It's much easier to love yourself when you're around someone everyday that loves you so obviously.

2) I believe you should "treat yo self" every now and then. Jeff and I feel strongly about not living beyond our means, especially since I work so little, but we also think it's ok to splurge once in awhile. That also applies to self care. I'm not especially good at making time for things like pedicures and haircuts (I shoot for twice a year for both - yikes,) but I do make time for exercise. Not a lot of time mind you, but 30-40 minutes on the treadmill or in front of a strength training video I can handle, and it makes such a difference in my self-image. Plus, Jeff and I exercise together sometimes, and that's a lot of fun.

3) I love to laugh. Jeff and I have that in common. We joke all the time, and I try to be silly with the kids whenever possible. I also try really hard not to take things too seriously, and to stay out of drama.

4) I have a strong support network. I have some great friends and we have an awesome House Church. I know I have people in my life that I can turn to for prayer and help with just about anything and that they truly care about me and my family.

5) As you can see from all of these pictures, I also have 2 amazing children, made fairly obvious by the fact that they're shopping the IKEA catalog in the picture above! I'm not the best Mom. I make mistakes every day, and I'll be the first to admit it. But loving them makes me want to be better. I want them to be happy, healthy children who love themselves and know that they're loved in the way they deserve. And of course, that brings us back to my original answer, because I can't accomplish that without God!

If you'd like to share your own answers to the question, feel free to visit the host site, and you can also enter the corresponding sweepstakes here.



2 comments:

Ashleigh Burroughs said...

Liking your spouse is a sure way to stay smiling, isn't it?
a/b

Denise said...

Excellent points! Definitely loving yourself is aided by surrounding yourself with those who love you (and who you love back). Excellent point!