Thursday, June 14, 2007

Colts Wonderland


For those of you in VerWaynia who know a little about me, I am a HUGE fan of the Indianapolis Colts. I don't know how it started or why, but somewhere along the line, I became enamored with professional football and the hometown team. I'm sure it had a lot to do with my college roommates who were already football junkies at tender ages. I'm not sure if it's the team concept, the hitting, maybe just the marketing of the sport, who knows? This week, I had what amounts to a religious experience as a Colts fan…

For the last couple of months, my company has been knee-deep in the plight to bring the Super Bowl to Indianapolis in 2011--you know how that went. ANYHOW, I'd been slaving away at the introduction piece to the whole bid book for all this time and after the smoke cleared, this last week a reception was held for everyone who put time in on the project. It was being held at the Colts complex. I drive by there every so often as it's only a few miles from our house. I can't tell you how many times I've wondered what was going on in there. Well, here was my chance. I got my pic taken with the Lombardi trophy, got my printed piece signed by Tony Dungy, Jim Irsay, Bill Polian, you know, only the architects of the Super Bowl champions, no big deal. It was awesome. Simply stunning.

Yesterday, the Colts were holding their ring ceremony at the Indianapolis Repertory Theater. Jim Irsay was going to read a poem about the struggles leading up to the big win set against a video montage my company created. At the last minute, my boss wants me to scour the earth for a large leather bound something or other to put the poem in for Irsay to read from. I love little expeditions like this (cue sarcasm here.) Late in the day, tired and frustrated by all the running, I finally get everything finished and run it over to the theater. Originally, I'm just supposed to hand this thing off in the lobby, but my boss says go ahead and come upstairs. Sure. why not? I've got nothing else better to do…

So I get a full view of the festivities. Blue lights everywhere, tables swanked out. I watch the video montage as Irsay reads from the podium and think, “When else would I be able to get this opportunity if not for my pain in the ass job?” Sometimes, God just breaks you off a little something for your trouble.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's usually a reason we work as hard as we do, if we just trust God's plan!

Patrick Laurent said...

You definitely deserved this.

Anonymous said...

Yes you did! You worked hard for this and I was so excited for you!

Maya said...

So so glad you got this experience! You put in so much hard work!