Sunday, August 19, 2007

Diarrhea

Evan has diarrhea for the first time in his short life. He's pooped 6 times today and they've been pretty yucky. I don't think he's sick because he has no other symptoms, so we think it may be due to teething - his top two teeth are starting to come in. I'm not sure we would have even realized it was diarrhea except for how uncomfortable he's been during diaper changes. He's very red and irritated and the last time we changed his diaper he was really crying, the kind of crying where you know he's for real. We've been caking on the rash cream and we even let him crawl around without a diaper for a while. We just feel so bad because there's not much we can do. He's eating fine, taken all of his bottles, and had lots of water, so I know he's staying hydrated...I'd just like to make the pain go away. I suppose I need to get used to this feeling.

I was reading an article about how to care for your baby with diarrhea and one of the things it said to do was cuddle and love on your baby. Tonight at bedtime Jeff and Evan spent some time doing just that and it was very sweet. I love my boys!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stand not being able to do anything for him when he cries like that. Times like these remind me that there's more to come and that being a parent is a wonderful and also painful experience.

Anonymous said...

I hope he feels better, & I'm sure you both are doing everything you can....a little cuddling is always good!

Maya said...

Poor little guy! We have used athlete's foot cream before you put on the diaper rash cream and it works really well. Sounds strange...but doctor recommended it for bad rashes.