Friday, March 19, 2010

I think Evan might be hustling me

If you've read this blog for any length of time, you know that God has gifted Jeff and I with a very active child. He's impulsive, easily distracted, and sometimes just plain all over the place. All the things that make me break out in hives just thinking about how he'll do in school. He's very bright, and I desperately want him to do well, but sometimes I worry. That's the biggest reason we're doing 2 years of preschool, and that he spent the last month going to a preschool reading program at the library.

We've gone to the Mommy and Me classes there in the past and he did well, but this is the kind that he goes to by himself. It's a half hour story/song time and then I come in at the end for a craft. I have to admit, I was worried about his ability to follow directions and sit still without me there to redirect him, because sitting still is not his specialty. But that first week, he went in like a pro and every time I peeked in the window he was sitting in his spot and doing all the right things. I was surprised, impressed, and a little envious. That's not the Evan I see at home!

I wondered if maybe it was a fluke, but the next three weeks were more of the same. The teacher always made announcements to the parents before starting the craft and sometimes she got a little long-winded. Most weeks I was shocked to see that Evan was one of the few kids still paying attention and staying seated during that time. He was seriously a model student and I couldn't have been more proud.

I'm really glad we did this, even though I had to exaggerate his age by a few months to get him in to this unit, because it's their last one before Summer. And now I feel a lot more confident about preschool and the still 2 years away kindergarten. I think he'll be ready. He seems to respond well when things are structured, so maybe it's me that needs to step it up!

No comments: