Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Evan's first day of preschool

Today was Evan's first day of preschool. I can't believe in just two years he'll be starting Kindergarten. It seems like yesterday we were bringing him home from the hospital. But he's definitely ready to start this new adventure. Evan knows his letters, numbers, colors, and shapes, and can even write his first name. But staying in his seat, following directions, and respecting personal space are things he still needs to work on and that's what I'm hoping preschool will do for him.

I'm really pleased with the preschool we found. It was recommended by a couple in our church and that made all the difference to me. They work on phonics, have a great music program, and they do a weekly chapel. The class sizes are small which will be good for Evan and so far his teacher seems really great. She sent all the students a card over the summer and Evan thought that was the coolest. I've spent a lot of time in prayer over the last few weeks for Evan's adjustment to preschool, but also for his teacher and classmates, and I know that God has picked out a great class for him!

Jeff went with us to drop Evan off, which I know Evan loved. We spent the drive there going over school rules and then before we got out of the car we all prayed for Evan. He went in to his classroom like he'd been there all of his life and didn't even look back. I shed a few tears, but mostly I'm really excited because I know he's going to love school. On the way home Jeff and I talked about how fast it's all going to go. Before we know it he'll be going off to college!

I managed to be really productive while he was at school. While Aida napped, I worked out and did a few things around the house. After she woke up, she and I spent some time playing and then it was time to pick him up. He had a big hug for me and the teacher said he was the line leader today and did a great job. He didn't have a whole lot to say because I think he's still processing, but I could tell he had fun. It's a good day to be a Mom!

No comments: