Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Today Part 2

Aida had her 15 month check up today, and although, she's still coming in under Evan's corresponding numbers, she's well above average. She weighs 28 lbs and is 32 inches tall, and did I mention that she's almost wearing a size 6 shoe? She's pretty much gigantic, but for every inch and pound, she possesses a mile of cuteness.


Aida is still a total Mama's girl. She's much clingier with me than Evan ever was, even more so on days that I work. I think sometimes it bothers Jeff, but Evan has always been a Daddy's boy so I think it's fair. She's friendly and loves kids but it takes her longer to warm up to other adults. Unless you're a woman with a baby, then you're her best friend. She has a little baby doll that she loves to carry around and push in her stroller. It's the sweetest thing to watch Aida pat her and hug her because I know that she's mimicking the affection she gets from me. The kitchen toys are still her favorite and of course sometimes that includes my tupperware and spices. But we have a ton of play food and Evan and Aida like to make us extravagant dinners, or in Aida's case usually soup or tea and that's a lot of fun. I'm very much looking forward to our first batch of cookies!

I was looking back on Evan's 15th month and I remembered how worried we were about his speech development. It's funny how much things change with your second child, because as far as I can tell, Aida only says "hi" and "bye" and I'm not the least bit worried (mostly.) I think there are 3 reasons for this. 1) Because she's our second, I'm a little more laid back. 2) She mimics and makes word sounds that Evan never did at this age. She says "ma ma" all the time, but never in a way that seems to definitely refer to me. And 3) We did almost a year of speech therapy for Evan but at 2 his vocabulary just blew up out of nowhere, and now if Evan is awake and breathing then he is most likely talking. Seriously. He. Is. Always. Talking! Sometimes we kid about how we'd like our "money" back. Sure, I'd love to hear her call me "ma ma," but at least I know she can say the word. I think the one word I'm most excited to hear is her word for Evan. It seems that younger siblings come up with their own names for their brothers and sisters, and for some reason I can't wait to find out what that will be for Evan, or even just how she'll pronounce his name. There is one sign that she uses on a consistent basis, "please." I got so tired of being screamed at when she wanted something, that I instituted the rule that she doesn't get anything unless she says please first. I think that's really worked to her advantage though, because it's really hard to say no to a child who comes up to you with her big blue eyes and uses sign language to say please!


Every month Aida's personality becomes a little more clear. She's very deliberate. When she does something you know she had a purpose for doing it and she's still very opinionated. If she doesn't like what you're doing (or what you're putting on her plate) she will definitely let you know about it! She can make a mess like any other toddler, but she also loves to pick up and put things back after she's used them (Jeff loves this quality :-) She can play by herself better than Evan, but if she's in the mood to nurse cuddle, forget trying to distract her with a toy, because she will not rest until she's gotten your undivided attention. I love that she's so affectionate with me though. There will come a time in her life when that won't be the case, or maybe not, but I'm going to savor it now. She's a sweetheart, and she's silly, and she's absolutely adorable, and we love her beyond words!


No comments: