Friday, March 09, 2012

How I plan to survive the Zombie Apocalypse

I'm sure you all know that in the great zombie versus vampire debate, I am picking vampires 180% of the time. However, my husband loves a good zombie flick, so on rare occasions I find myself trying to endure the torture that is the post-apocalyptic genre. During these rare occasions, Jeff and I almost always have the following conversation: If a "world-as-we-know-it-ending" disaster was to happen, we would totally be the first to die. We are all about convenience and comfort, and we have no survival skills. None. Losing my DVR alone might be enough to do me in. But on top of that, we don't camp, we don't build things, and we certainly don't know how to live off of the land. We'd be goners for sure!

Well, this Spring we're going to correct 2 of those deficits. We're going to build a box, fill it with dirt, plant a bunch of vegetables in it, and try really hard to remember to water them. That's right, I'm planting a garden! But, we're definitely not camping, because "ewww!"

I've been announcing this plan to anyone and everyone who will listen because I need accountability. When things require even the tiniest amount of work I tend to make grand plans and then never follow through. But, we have a huge yard with lots of sun, and I've been wanting to do this since we moved here. So, this is happening! I've done a lot of research, and have decided to go with a raised garden. We're going to build a 4x8 bed that will hopefully look like this, and I'm planting tomatoes, peppers, beans, lettuce, spinach, herbs, eggplant, squash, zucchini, bok choy, onions, and strawberries. I love to cook with fresh veggies, especially in the Summer, and I'm excited for those to be vegetables I worked hard to grow. I'm also going to try to incorporate the kids in this project as much as possible, and that should be a lot of fun!

The blog is getting in on the action as well because I plan to document the experience, starting with pictures of us attempting to build a box and ending with what will hopefully be a bountiful harvest and not a massive failure. So you will have that "flip of a coin" to look forward to!

No comments: