Thursday, August 20, 2009

Apparently trash talking works

Just a day or so after I wrote this post, Evan decided to start pooping in the potty. I can't say that it's been a regular occurrence, because he still seems very partial to his nap time diaper, but he's definitely made progress. I guess he didn't like the negative report I gave the blog!

Potty training has definitely been a journey, but it's been SO much easier this time around. Looking back on our first attempt its very obvious to me how NOT ready he was then. If I didn't take him to the potty every 20 minutes, he would have an accident. The accidents were daily, if not hourly, sometimes. Needless to say, we were all a little frustrated!

But this endeavor has been different. The first week or so was rough, but then he started to catch on. The biggest difference has been that he seems to understand "holding it." He doesn't just pee and poop at will wherever and whenever. He still has the occasional accident, but now it's more like once a week as opposed to every day. And I can't even remember the last time he had a #2 accident. Thank goodness, because poopy underwear are way gross to clean!

There's still progress to be made. It will be nice when he starts being more proactive about telling me he has to potty. I still take him to the potty every hour and a half or so, but as long as he's not having accidents, I'm not going to get too picky!

I really wanted him to be potty trained by three (for whatever reason.) We're still a few months away from three and I'd say he's at least 80% trained, so I'm happy with that.

No comments: